A photo showing a man who died of an overdose of soy sauce has sparked outrage in the United States, after it was posted online.
The photo shows a man being taken to hospital by paramedics after he collapsed and was taken to a local hospital for treatment.
The man was seen with an open bottle of soy, according to a report in The Washington Post.
“The soy sauce was apparently being added to the soy sauce when he became unconscious,” a doctor at the hospital said in a statement.
“As a result, he was rushed to the emergency room and died from hypothermia.”
He said the man had been taking the sauce for three days.
“He was not consuming any of the soy but was ingesting some as well,” the doctor added.
“We don’t know how much the soy contained and if it was being ingested, but we do know that he did not consume any soy sauce.”
The man’s name was not released but the doctor said he was aged 40 to 50.
He died at around 7pm on Monday.
The toxicology report has yet to be released.
“This is a tragic accident,” a family friend told local media.
“It is a very sad day.
It is something we had never seen before.”
The photo has drawn condemnation, with some calling it insensitive and insensitive to people with disabilities.
“I think it is so insensitive,” one woman said.
“People are going to feel very, very angry, very upset.
It’s not right,” another woman added.
The United States Food and Drug Administration has yet in its guidance to ban the product, which is used in a range of foods from soy milk to pasta sauces, from being consumed in the country.